A state’s and country’s progress is inter-related with the health of people that forms a community. To help communities stay fit and healthy and contribute to the development of nation, Agency for peace and development (APD) works as heath partner with the public health departments in Kismayo; which includes ministry of health, donor agencies, international and local NGOs that has got health mandate.
|Kismayo program of the APD is actively responding to current health crisis in Kismayo from an operation base in Nairobi. APD is working closely with local authorities and with a number of Kismayo based international and national organizations through clusters and inter-agency meetings to coordinate lifesaving humanitarian assistance to the people in need.
APD is not new to supporting the needy peoples of Kismayo. It previously initiated humanitarian assistance programs in in the lower Jubba such as WASH, peace building and protection.
Through this health program; the Somali community in Kismayo is provided with opportunities to live healthy and contribute to the development of the nation.
Currently, APD in its health department runs one MCH in Kismayo at Alaanley. The MCH has five (5) health personnel; a nutrition officer, a nurse, a pharmacologist and a midwife. The health facility has also got four (4) support staff; two security guards and two cleaners.
For the period stated in the reference above the facility reached five hundred twenty seven (1054) clients of 75% children under five years, pregnant and lactating mothers and of 25% other adult male and female.
Table 1.1: Clients treated at Alaanley MCH
|Category||Attendance in figure||Attendance in Percentage||Total|
|Under 5 years||216||20.5%||216|
|Above 5 years||174||16.5||174|
The major objective of the MCH (mother-child health) facility is to save the lives of the unborn children, mothers and children who are at a high risk for death if not protected.
This target group requires a nutrition care and information and health education for live sustenance.
The activities done in this period includes:
- Diagnoses, prescribes and evaluates one’s health status.
- Offers counselling for clients of requiring the services
- Documents and keep reports of drugs prescribed.
- Liaise with the main hospitals for cases of referrals.
- Issued out drugs prescribed by the nurse
- Gave description of dosages of the drug
- Perform registration of clients.
EPI (Expanded program immunization)
- Provided administration and follow up of immunizations, and provided patient education regarding reaction site, and side effects
- Educated patients and families regarding immunization programs, and ages of adolescent shot requirements.
- Register clients of EPI.
- Made reports on EPI
- Diagnosed, monitored and examined pregnant women.
- Developed, assessed and evaluated individual programs of care;
- Provided full antenatal care, including screening.
- Identified high risk pregnancies and made referrals to hospitals
- Arranged and provided parenting and health education;
- Provided counseling and advice before and after screening.
- Managed of cases of malnutrition through diet counselling.
- Promoted child growth and development.
- Provided Knowledge about nutrition
- Improved attitudes and confidence in healthy eating.
- Improved skill in selection of healthy foods.
- Eating patterns that include frequent meals with family and/or friends eating together.
- Increased awareness of nutrition education opportunities available in the community.
- Gave Nutrition counseling and Nutrition Education to the Patients.
- There is no adequate maternity kit in the delivery room
- Shortage of drugs
- There is only nutrition counselling services for the nutrition department
- There is need for hand washing facilities and cleaning detergents in cleaning the health facility.
1:1 Selected photo
1:2 Quarterly Work plan
|Activity||Time Frame||PERSON IN CARGE||Remarks|
|· Diagnoses, prescribes and evaluates one’s health status.
· Offers counselling for clients of requiring the services
· Documents and keep reports of drugs prescribed.
· Liaise with the main hospitals for cases of referrals
|1st October to 31 December 2015||Aden||Nurse||Work covered as planned|
|· Issued out drugs prescribed by the nurse
· Gave description of dosages of the drug
· Perform registration of clients
|15th September to October 2015||Abdikadir||Pharmacy||Work covered as planned|
· Provided administration and follow up of immunizations, and provided patient education regarding reaction site, and side effects
· Educated patients and families regarding immunization programs, and ages of adolescent shot requirements.
· Register clients of EPI.
· Made reports on EPI
|15th September to October 2015||Mohamed Hanshi Hirsi||EPI||Work covered as planned|
|15th September to October 2015||Fatuma||Midwife||Work covered as planned|
|· Managed of cases of malnutrition through diet counselling.
· Promoted child growth and development.
· Provided Knowledge about nutrition
· Improved attitudes and confidence in healthy eating.
· Improved skill in selection of healthy foods.
· Eating patterns that include frequent meals with family and/or friends eating together.
· Increased awareness of nutrition education opportunities available in the community.
· Gave Nutrition counseling and Nutrition Education to the Patients
|15th September to October 2015||Ali Dekow Ibrahim||Nutrition Officer||Work covered as planned|